This homemade muesli is a staple in our house. Everyone enjoys it and it's nice and healthy, so I thought I'd share the recipe
3 cups oats
1 cup wheatgerm
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup linseeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup ground almonds
Handful chopped walnuts *optional
1 Tbsp Barley Malt
1 Tbsp Black strap Molasses
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Walnut Oil
1 tsp Natural Vanilla Extract
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 cup Coconut
2 Cups Raisins or Currants - or you can make a mix, I like currants, dried cranberries, goji berries & dried pomegranite arils
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius
- In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, wheatgerm, seeds and nuts.
- In a seperate bowl or measuring jug mix the barley malt and molasses in some warm water, then add oil, vanilla extract & cinnamon.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredient and mix thoroughly.
- Sread over a baking sheet or two (depending on size of your baking sheets) and bake until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Should take 10-20 minutes
- Keep an eye on it to make sure the edges don't burn!
- Remove from oven, and add your raisins and coconut and let cool.
- Store in the fridge unless you plow through it a few days like my family, in which case it will be fine in the cupboard :)
Let me know if you make this and enjoy it...or not!
And don't worry to much about following it exactly, you can add more or less of the various ingredients, you can add your own preferences, you can leave out or substitute if you're missing an ingredient, it's more of a guideline than an exact science ;)